Saturday, September 5, 2009

A Golden Age by Tahmima Anam

It took me a long weekend to finish this novel. Set in the time when Bangladesh was fighting for its independence from Pakistan, the novel is well thought out and planned. Rehana and her two children, Sohail and Maya, get involved in the Resistance Movement. What follows is how they survive the age of war.

Some parts don't make much sense though. The prose is good; but in some cases didn't make much sense when put together. Why the kids had to be separated for a year - is beyond me as well. It holds your interest, but then, it all seems a bit too contrived.

Some passages are weak; I felt like an English teacher when I read them. I guess one has artistic license, so I can't really say much. But I have a feeling that too much was packed into one book. Even Mom didn't think too much of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment