Saturday, September 19, 2009

The Elephant Vanishes by Haruki Murakami

There are some books that leave you with a bit of a scary feeling inside. Not because there's something particularly horrific. But some of the views expressed leave you feeling very empty. Like the life of the people you're reading about may not be altogether together.

I don't know. It's his surreal style. Whether it be a recently employed guy looking for his lost cat, or a lady discovering herself and divorcing her husband, or an elephant factory that makes real life elephants, or a dancing dwarf that actually reminded me of Rumpelstiltskin.

I've read Kafka on the Shore by Murakami as well. It's also wierd; and the life and the characters he creates are quiet, yet stay in your memory.

I don't know why, but I like reading his stories. I recently got to read a few on a trip I'd taken in Himachal and it was actually lovely, sitting all cosy in a nice room with a beautiful view of the Kandaghat valley, lying and reading the collection of short stories. I would recommend that resort to anyone looking for a bit of peace and quiet from the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment